Download résumé. Or read here:
Work samples: EdPeaco.com
Publisher of automotive aftermarket publications,
Springfield, Mo., since March 2015
Editor of Transmission Digest
- Edit all content, including feature stories, technical and business columns, product notices and lists of businesses in the field.
- Write feature stories.
- Move all content through the publication process.
Freelance writer, editor, photographer
Springfield, Mo., since 2011
Writing: News and features. Highlights:
- Weekly music column for Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader, a daily newspaper.
- Health and business: Two-day series and subsequent pieces on autism services for News-Leader; health-care reform articles for Springfield Business Journal.
- Profiles of leaders at National Defense University and U.S. Army War College for two special sections of Inside Homeland Security, a professional journal.
- Dining column with photos, three times monthly, for News-Leader.
Editing: AP, APA, and Chicago. Highlights:
- Edited psychologist Don Hutcheon’s first book, Psychogenic Polydipsia: Treatment Strategies & Housing Options, ACFEI, 2012.
- Proofread a forthcoming collection of newspaper columns by a regional writer.
- Edited an article for freelance researcher Terrance Lichtenwald, who placed the piece in the research journal Homeland Security Affairs, August 2012.
Photography: Editorial photography, especially food projects, for the News-Leader.
A credentialing company, Springfield, Mo., September 2010-April 2011.
Editor of Inside Homeland Security, the quarterly, peer-reviewed journal for the American Board for Certification in Homeland Security. Continued to freelance for IHS.
- Cultivate relationships with association members and other experts.
- Nurture writers.
- Manage peer-review and accreditation processes for articles.
- Edit all content; acquire pictures and graphics.
- Collaborate with designer to produce issues with maximum visual impact.
- Introduced or improved professional practices in the areas of consulting readers and authors, peer review, production and proofreading.
- Wrote a cluster of articles about the homeland-security culture of “connecting the dots” based on interviews with officials at the Department of Homeland Security, Nationwide Suspicious Activity Reporting Initiative and the New Jersey Fusion Center.
Part-time and temporary positions
- iMarlin, customer support for marketing firm, Springfield, Mo., January-March 2009.
- News-Leader, various editing roles, December 2009-September 2010.
- U.S. Census Bureau, clerk, Springfield, Mo., office, March-April 2010.
Daily newspaper, Springfield, Mo., 1981-2008
Delivery desk producer, spring 2007-Dec. 12, 2008
- Collaborate with editors, reporters, photographers and artists to formulate and execute the daily Page One plan.
- Provide copy editing for all sections in a consolidated production process.
- Meet incremental and final deadlines.
- Design, preparation and execution of presidential election coverage, 2008. My day-after-election front page was chosen for inclusion in Obama: The Historic Front Pages by David Elliot Cohen and Mark Greenberg, Sterling Publishing Co. Inc., 2009.
- Page One design and execution of extended news events, including the state audit of Springfield city finances in December 2007 and the January 2007 ice storm.
Page One designer, August 2001-spring 2007: Planning, editing, design, production.
Page designer, July 1993-August 2001: Involved in all newspaper sections and special projects.
Assistant news editor/News editor, October 1984-July 1993: Supervised a 10-person copy desk.
Copy editing, design, graphics positions: February 1981-October 1984.
Texarkana (Texas) Gazette
September 1979-February 1981: copy editor, news editor.
Levelland & Hockley County (Texas) News Press
October 1978-August 1979: reporter, editor.
Missouri State University
Journalism and media courses
- Introduction to Journalism (JRN270), Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010.
- Writing for Online Journalism (JRN 300), Spring 2009.
- Survey of Mass Media Theory (MED 204), Fall 2008.
- Media Ethics (MED 581), Spring and Fall 2007, Spring 2008.
- Publications (JRN 477), Fall 2006.
English and communication courses
- Expository Writing, Drury Online (ENGL 207), Summer 2009, Summer 2010.
- Business Communication and Writing, Lebanon campus, (ENGL 220), Fall 2009.
Antioch University McGregor
- Degree Committee Chair, Individualized Master of Arts Program, 2004-2006. Supervised a creative writing student’s work on a novel.
Social Media Certificate Program, Drury University, Springfield, Mo.
M.A. in Creative Writing, Antioch University McGregor, Yellow Springs, Ohio, 1994.
B.A. in Anthropology, Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa, 1978.